Frequently Asked Questions



Frequently Asked Questions


Who is running the Melbourne Toyrun event?

With the MRA(Vic) handing the baton to the Victorian Motorcycle Council for advocacy and representing Victorian Motorcyclists in 2011, the VMC is continuing the long tradition of the MRA Toyrun from 2013 and into the future. Kerry Walton is the event co-ordinator and Santa.


Do I need a CityLink/EastLink pass if the run uses one of the Tollways?

Please ensure you have a valid CityLink/Eastlink toll account or day pass. There are no exemptions for paticipants of the Toyrun. We encourage the Tollway operators to consider donating all Motorcycle Tolls gathered on the day and donate them to the Salvation Army.

How much does it cost to attend the Toyrun?
Attending the Toyrun costs nothing. We do encourage everyone participating to donate something to the Salvos. This is the reason we put the event on, so that the motocyclist clubs, enthusiasts and friends can benevolently make a difference to the lives of the less fortunate.

Can I attend if I don't ride?
Yes. All are welcome on the day. Some clubs may have pillion places available and we're keen to have more auto enthusiasts join us in building the event attendance so that the donations for children and families increases.

What can I bring for the Salvos?
Help the Salvation Army help Melbourne's needy by bringing:

  • New, unwrapped toys
  • Non-perishable food (canned, dry food, drinks etc)
  • Donations of money
  • Gift vouchers

Please do not bring:

  • Plush toys  (teddy bears, etc)
  • Wrapped toys
  • Used toys
  • Perishable food (anything that needs refrigeration, or has a short life)

Who gets the money raised?
All monitary donations, gifts and toys go directly to the Salvation Army. Make sure you hand these to the Salvation Army volunteers on the day. The recipient familes are usually supplied by the sorted gifts from the previous year, most large charity organisations do not have the resources to sort the volume of gifts made in December, it can sometimes take a few months. The Victorian Motorcycle Council do not retain any part of your donation, profits from Badge and T-Shirt Sales go to the Victorian Motorcycle Council.

I don't like riding in a big group. Can I still attend?
Yes, you can ride your bike and arrive at TabCorp Park any time after 10:30am.

I ride a scooter. Can I attend?
Of course, turn up on one wheel, two wheels, three or more and help motorcyclists and enthusiasts show they support the Salvos and the community.

I'm a member of a club. Can we ride as a group?
Yes, we'd welcome your club attending and hope that you ride in the spirit of the event.

Where can I join the Toyrun ride?
Click here to find our where your nearest ride is. Click here if you are outside the Melbourne metro area.

When does the event start?
Local rides start at varying times. TabCorp Park will be open from 10:30am.

When does the event finish?
Entertainment ends at 3.00pm.

I don't live in Melbourne. Where is my nearest Toyrun?
Click here to find the nearest Toyrun to you around Australia.

I'd like to volunteer to help the Toyrun
We'd welcome your involvement. None of the people involved in the Toyrun are paid for organising or consulting, so volunteering will help the Toyrun be better, smoother and more enjoyable for everyone. Costs to run the event are covered by sponsors and co-ordinated by the contracted lead organiser. Call the VMC to volunteer!

I have a motorcycle or motorcycle-related business. Can I have a stand at the Toyrun?
Yes, we'd welcome your involvement. There is a limited amount of space for vendors, and they are made available of a first come, first served basis. Please contact Kerry Walton on (04) 1776-6555

I have a food business. Can I have a stand at the Toyrun?
Yes - contact Kerry!  TabCorp Park resturant and bar will be open to patrons. Motorcyclists, enthusists and guests can sit down at tables to eat, enjoy the day and also a sectioned off bar will be open to buy a beverage.

Do I have to be a VMC member to participate in the Toyrun?
No. The Toyrun is open to anyone and everyone.

Riders and their Pillions are expected to obey all the Victorian Road rules if participating in any Toyrun. This includes wearing an approved helmet for on road use.

If the helmet is manufactured in Australia, there are now either 4 or 5 certifying agencies so the 5 ticks symbol is no longer the only one. The helmet is required to have a label stitched to the inner lining identifying the name of the manufacturer, the date of manufacture and that it complies with Australian Standard 1698. A label / sticker affixed to the outer shell of the helmet not sufficient if the one on the inner lining is not present.

If the helmet is manufactured overseas, it must comply with United Nations Standard ECE R22.05 – which is the standard established by the Economic Commission for Europe.

The helmets with this standard are usually identifiable by a labelled stitched on the chin retention strap as well as the manufacturer’s label stitched to the inner lining.


The original,
the traditional
and the biggest.